“Are you IDENTICAL or FRATERNAL?”
It’s really amazing (and extremely funny) the questions people-on-the-street ask when meeting the twins. They’re real-life “Here’s Your Sign” moments. Here are a few of our favorite questions, and our typical answers…
- Are they twins?
No. Just this one.
- Are they identical?
No. One has longer hair.
- Are they “paternal”?
No. It was a virgin birth.
- Do twins run in your family?
Yes, but usually they learn to walk, first. They’ll probably jump and climb, too
- How do you tell them apart?
I just look at them.
- How did you know you were having twins?
Well, we had sex twice that night, so we thought we had a pretty good chance.
- Did you take drugs? (Cindy always gets this one!)
Well, there was this one time in Majorca…
- They don’t look anything alike. Are they natural?
No, they’re plastic!
- They don’t look alike. Are you sure they’re twins?
Well, I was there for the birth! But I guess the doctor could’ve pulled a fast one.
- Oh, you have twins. Are they brothers?
No, just twins.
- Which one’s the “good” one?
Neither, they’re both equally bad!
- When one cries, does he wake the other?
No. Twins can’t hear each others cries because they communicate with their special telepathic language only.
- What do you do when they cry at the same time?
Sometimes I cry; sometimes I go to Starbucks.
- Is raising twins expensive?
Yes. Would you like to make a donation?
- Wow, twins. You must really have your hands full!
Why? Are you offering to clean my house?
- Twins, huh? Just wait, it only gets harder!
Thanks. Just this morning I woke up hoping to receive a word of discouragement while simultaneously pushing a stroller and pulling a shopping cart through Wal-Mart. Have a nice day. 😛
Thanks to the many parents of multiples who provided some of these snappy answers…